Sunday, December 13, 2020

Update on master bedroom makeover and reflection

 Alhamdulillah, the custom made bed I ordered from Astana Jati finally delivered to me in Sept. It was the size and height that I wished for... I was so thankful to Allah because there could be a risk that they didn't make as I described...but Alhamdulillah! It didn't look exactly like Ashley's and the material may not be as quality as I thought but due to the grand presence of the bed, I just didn't have any complain! 

I didn't have an exact budget for the bedroom. I used to settle with what I know e.g get a custom-made curtains and a proper side table. Get a carpet to complete the look but....I have a different approach this time. Save your money for the future, don't go lavish now and there are cheaper alternatives such as Shopee, Lazada and shops like Mr DIY, Romantika, Kaison etc.

One of the reason I want to get a bed is because I bought a nice duvet set last year but it would not look nice without a bed! And this year is our 20th anniversary so it's a good reason to get one. Below is roughly the costs of the makeover:

  1. New AKEMI duvet set RM300++ (bought last year)
  2. New kayu jati bedframe Astana Jati = RM2,300
  3. New Jotun paint RM141++
  4. New plain ROMANTIKA curtain RM68 x 2 sets = RM136
  5. Round ROMANTIKA mirror RM75
  6. New drawer knobs RM4.95 x 8 units + delivery  =  RM44.80

Kalo tak masuk duvet and bedframe = RM396.80

Kalo masuk duvet and bedframe = RM2,996.80

Curtains: SSF curtain could cost RM100+ for a set, so I bought a bargain there. Will try Kaison's (if they have plains) because they have wider set per piece. Custom made curtain would depend on the materials, probably may costs RM300 and above

Mirror: The round shape is perfect and at RM75, I just have to get it. You can't expect much from the price. It has flimsy cardboard at the back compared to SSF's but hey, it will do for the time being. Previous plan was to buy from SSF as well which definitely costs RM200 and above.

Picture during the day

This was taken around 7.00 pm, right after I bought the curtain.


The current theme is plain grey and white. I love how it turns out as the brown furniture complete the look (or the other way around). I'm planning to get another duvet and curtain set as a 2nd theme which should include some colour and patterns. Choice of colous either muted pink, dark blue or turquoise. For the duvet, my wishlist is to get a hotel like material...crisp and comfy. I'm willing to spend RM500 on it but must make sure to get an authentic set.

I will have to survey more on the curtains....

Next buy: side table, side lamp (optional), phone charger

Need to buy a side table. A simple one as the space left is quite narrow, big enough to put a charger, a side table lamp or a vase. Light enough for easy cleaning ya...

Power point is only on one side of the bed. So I need to plan and add more points for phone charger and the lamp on the other side of the bed. Planning to get an extension and hang it on the wall behind the bedhead....

The reflection

Since then, I always reflect on my life after my prayers as I look across and see the bed. 

After 20 years of marriage, what's the reason behind getting the bed now instead of 20 years ago? Well, actually 16 years, minus the 4 years in the UK.... Was I not care about our relationship? Ya la, bedroom is a sacred place for husband and wife...How could I live without a bed for 11 years? (we moved here in 2007, we bought a new mattress without a bed in 2009) We've been sleeping with the kids since then and only now with the new bed we get to have the room all to ourselves. By now having the bed, did it affect my relationship with my husband? Is there any improvement in our relationship due to the new bed?

I may not be the person who I thought I was. I like home decorating but why my house doesn't look like the pics in Pinterest? Do I overthinking stuff and don't put things into action? Is it because of budget constraints? I'm willing to save up and buy furniture RM1,000 and above which to some, are expensive. I love shopping at IKEA and get my furniture there...but sometimes the double function furniture I bought were not used to the fullest e.g my extendable dining table and the single chair bed. And still, my house doesn't look nice as others.

I should stop complaining about not having this and that because at least now I get to have the bed that I wanted. Some people only sleep on the floor berlapikkan kotak.....Always be thankful and trust the process. Allah SWT knows better. Stuff is just stuff...get them if you want. When you start comparing with others, you will start not appreciating what you have. Never lose sight that our life is temporary. What's more important is your deeds towards Allah SWT and others. I'm not sure whether all these thoughts came because of the bed or it was just me maturing since I'm now 45 years old! Kuang3x

For the past years, I think I got things more because they were cheap/on offer especially clothes. More about this in another post.


This was taken today, just to show the mirror is now up on top of drawer

No comments:

Post a Comment