Thursday, December 17, 2009

My dearest kids, Happy Birthday!

16th December was chosen to celebrate the births of my children this year. Irdina is 7, Jasmin is 5, Kasyif is 1. Since I combined the 3 birthdays, i wanted to put more effort in organizing a fun party and i have my maid to help out.
The party food. The birthday cake.
It seemed like a chaos at first. 12.30pm and i was still climbing the ladder hanging the decorations. I just dumped the mini sausages, crab balls and chicken wings in the oven while i start frying macaroni at about 1pm. I was still cooking when some of the kids came at 1.45pm (the invitation says party starts at 2pm). The cake was not picked up yet and my appointed helpers (my 2 teenage cousins) were no where to be found!

The good thing about kids only b'day party is you don't have to put so much effort on the food and they are easy to please. I've arranged a craft station at the porch so i just asked the kids to make some crafts (cutouts prepared earlier) while i went to fetch the cake.
The craft station.
I was happy to see some of the kids explored their creativity at the craft station and looked forward for the games. I arranged for 3 games: musical chair, throw/catch ball and 'who am i'.... The prizes were simple, Mamee snack/Double Decker/Sunmaid raisins and winners get to be crowned. I was happy that i decided to make the crowns because I saw they really liked the crowning part more than the prizes.
The ladybirds made by guests.
The crowning of the winners.
Peeking at the cake.
Most of all, i was happy to see my kids were happy with the party. They appreciated every single effort that i did. From the decorations, the rearrangement of furniture, the making of fancy cookies (which they helped).... they kept on saying "bestnye! tak sabar nak birthday party!".....They were excited to peek at the cake i picked up that i had to chase them out of the kitchen and asked them to wait in front.
21 goodie bags using brown paper bag, labels and gold ribbons.
Organizing birthday party for them is more than just for fun. It tests whether you are in tune with your children and understand them. Mothers may be excited when the goodie bag, the prizes and table cloth match the overall theme. But what children are excited about are the content of goodie bag, the games and the cake. I asked my children's opinion what to get for the goodie bag. I asked them to help me out on the decorations and fancy cookies. They asked a lot of questions and i tried to explain the best that i can. So it was more than just organizing for fun. I actually spent some of my time with my children and noticed how little time i've spent with them before.

Things to remember for next party:
1. Kids are indifferent about party food, so don't put too much effort on it. Make simple stuff and can be prepared a day earlier. Or just buy frozen ones...
2. Cake, games and goodie bag. The 3 things essential to kids for a good and fun party.
The treasure chest full with goodies.
25 cookies made 1 day earlier.
3. Take time to prepare and put a budget. It's easier when you have a budget and knowing the limit you can spend. Divide the budget into cake, goodie bag, deco and food. It is a lot cheaper if you make the deco yourself. Buy manila cards, search for ideas on the internet. The party doesn't have to be full with expensive decorations, just colourful to bring out the party atmosphere.
4. Don't panic if things not going as planned. They are children with low expectation...except on cake, goodie bag and games!.... Just apologize and move on....And have fun!...

So regardless of your budget, party is meant for fun. Focus on what is important...you kids that is!...

No comments:

Post a Comment