Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Getting new curtains

I think it's time for me to buy new curtains for the house. It has been the same 1 set since 2008. Since i have some extra money this year, i decided to buy new curtains for the house. The original budget was about RM500 for the whole house. That was rather unrealistic because a have 3 windows suitable for roman blinds and such the cost is higher than normal curtains. Initially i wanted to get modern patterns such as plains or stripes. And i don't know why when it came to the actual thing, i still favoured floral pattern ones. Why did i choose Elyza although the price is rather high (RM48 per metre of 54" width) from the last order in 2008 (RM30)? Yes, that was my choice and now i'm about to spend RM1,300 just on curtains! By right with RM1,300 I should be able to furnish the whole house. What the RM1,300 inclusive of:

  1. sliding door of 7' width. Total cost on curtains only RM690
  2. roman blinds of 20" x 80" drop. I can't remember how they calculate it
  3. roman blinds for the kitchen 25" x 48" drop (2 sets). I can't remember the calculation either

One thing about roman blind is the minimum width is 4' so doesn't mean cheaper if my window is smaller. Average per roman blind is about RM200-RM300. And think this time costs more because i don't have the roman blind frame and include installation. Next time it should be cheaper and i should try to sew the curtains myself.

So for the bedrooms, i plan to get ready made or get cheaper material. My estimate if i get a RM15 per metre material:
Sliding RM300 + window RM190 = RM490
Girl's bedroom = RM140
Study room = RM350 (assume roman blind)
TOTAL = RM980

Wow! Even if i opt to choose cheaper materials, the costs easily reach nearly RM1,000. I did survey IKEA ready made curtains which costs about RM169 per pair. The problem is the width is only 145 cm ( 4' plus) whereas i need 7' width for my window/sliding.

Whatever it is, i just don't want to make the wrong choice for RM1,300. Now I'm scared.....

No comments:

Post a Comment