Wednesday, January 14, 2015

3rd day in the hospital (7th day)

Today is our 3rd day at the hospital (Wednesday). Calculatively, it's a 4th day if you consider admitted at 6pm as a day. However, it is Lutfi's 7th day since he had high fever on last Thursday.

Yesterday's platelet reading was 67 in the afternoon, lower than the morning result. The doctor said he took it as constant and expect the platelet to rise today.

Result @ 9.30am
Alhamdulillah, the platelet reading rose to 92 this morning. The doctor will do another test and he seems quite confident Lutfi can be discharged today.I am more than happy. 

Quality time
As much as I want Lutfi to be quickly discharged, I feel this hospitalization thingy remind me of my resolution to focus on my kids this year. I'm actually glad I managed to make this 3 days a quality time with Lutfi. I got to read to him, his favourite comic and learned that he has actually memorized his favourite lines. 

Getting to know own child
He is such an obedient kid. He didn't struggle when the nurse came to check his vitals and he could accept that he must be attached to the IV all the time.

But Lutfi is Lutfi. He doesn't like to sleep on the hospital bed, he only eats what he wishes to eat (it was pasta all the way). Like other kids, he got bored quickly and luckily the IV machine was movable. I always offered him alternatives whether to sit by the window or sit at our 'reading' chair to vary his space.



He is so intelligent that he understood the whys and do/don'ts when explained to him. That made handling him quite easy without needing to scold, shout and promise unnecessary reward for good behaviour. We only promised him an Ultraman toy as a gift for being such a good patient.

I understood him better within the 3 days spent with him. I knew he was upset and frustrated on the 1st day he had to stay at the ward. When the word 'balik' (go home) uttered by his father, his face would turned cheery thinking that it meant time to go home whereas it was time for his father to go home. He would cry and I calmed him down with hugs and kisses. I really felt my child needed me to help him cope with the hospitalization.

Sometimes he watched his favourite cartoons, Tobot or Ultraman on YouTube on my Iphone but not all the time. Sometimes he played by the window himself, immersed in his imaginary world of Ultraman, monsters and heroes.


Sometimes he watched Disney Junior channel and he actually likes Mickey Club House and Handy Manny. He would shout 'Hey Doodle!' mimicking Mickey.

I have to learn to put work at 2nd place. Only do stuff I need to do and trust my colleague to cover me when I'm absent. Everyone has their break. This time it's mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment