Thursday, January 8, 2015

Managing Kasyif's weight

Kasyif is overweight. Although he is active, he likes to eat. A lot. He only stops when he is REALLY full.

Asmathic?
Kasyif has problem of his breathing. He's not really asthmatic but he does react to cold and smoke. He will cough and if it persist longer than normal, we'll take him to the clinic and ask the doctor to prescribe the nebulizer. However, doctors never said he is asthmatic so I will just stick to that.

Eating habit
We had a helper when Kasyif was born. So he was well fed but the problem is, the situation didn't help to instill good eating habit. He was spoon fed by the helper and not by himself. The helper didn't know whether he was full so she kept giving him until he seemed full. I observed she gave more than 2 servings most of the time but I didn't say anything.

Balance between concern and doing damage
I wanted to help Kasyif, but I didn't know how to handle it. Then I found this site and hopefully it would help me to help Kasyif:
 http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/11/25/3-feeding-interactions-and-how-they-influence-child-obesity/

http://jillcastle.com/2010/10/whats-your-feeding-style/


I shall not focus on the child himself. Rather I 'need to check the feeding practice at home and how he handles outside influence around food, as well as his own eating personality and temperament'

The DON'TS
1. Using Restriction to Control or Reverse Weight Gain (we did let some treats once in a while, except that now he buys his own and he tend to buy them every day)
2. Pressuring Kids to Eat More (this was what the helper was doing to him when he was small)
3. Rewarding for Performance (never happened)

School in 2015
Kasyif is going to school this year. This time he will be occupied and he will move a lot compared to when he was in the half day kindergarten. His class is in the 1st floor so he will climb the stairs everyday. So I'm not so worried about getting Kasyif to move more. I'm more concerned on how to deal with him when he's complaining because definitely he'll feel more tired and he will get all cranky.

Making it right, this time
This is my plan:
  1. Eat dinner together and ask him to feed himself to re-connect Kasyif with his own internal regulators of hunger and fullness
  2. I will also suggest my husband to keep his cash elsewhere so will buy less of the treats.
  3. I hope to cook breakfast and dinners (fingers crossed) to limit processed food such as nugget and burgers.
Suddenly I have an idea! I need to plan a 30 day breakfast/dinner on stick notes. The menu can be interchanged between days and interactive for kids.... Let's try that, shall we.....

No comments:

Post a Comment