Sunday, November 20, 2011

Apam polka dot

My eldest requested me to make this for her last day of school party. I said 'ok' because I've seen Niza made it and it looked quite simple. So another firsts....
The recipe requires simple ingredients. Most stuffs I have in the cupboard except ovalette and 'bekas apam'. I only bought 20 pcs@RM4.50 because I know my mum has some which I can borrow. And in case I'm only 'hangat-hangat tahi ayam' like the creamwell...muahaha!
Mix all ingredients until you get a thick batter and stuff in a few pipings bag to colour and ease the filling process.Then just fill the papercup which you place in the 'bekas apam' and steam for about 10 min. I can only steam 20 pcs at a time because my steamer is small and only a layer. My mum has 2 or 3 (can't remember but definitely more than 1) layers and bigger too. So it took longer time to finish since the batter can do about 100-120 pcs.
Egg and sugar and ovalette
The fun part as enjoyed by my eldest is definitely decorating. The easiest but excellent outcome is of course doing the polka dot. The piece will look like mushrooms but it's really up to your own creativity.

Since it was my first, there were rejects. My apam breaks on top like normal apam but you need the apam to be rounded to show off the decorated top.
One cracked and one menjadi
The apam breaks because the temperature was too high. I need to turn the stove to VERY LOW to avoid my apam from breaking.
Verdict: Definitely a hit but i need to think how to speed up the process.
Kakak helping out

A design came to her mind

Before being steamed
1 box of apam for Dina's school party


2 boxes of 1 reject and 1 menjadi. Which is which? :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment