Friday, February 6, 2015

Something for Irdina

I've decided to focus on my kids this year. What does this mean?

It means I want to provide my kids essential skills to survive in life when they reach adulthood. Below are skills I learnt when I was a teenager and I find has benefit me:

Typing
Learnt how to type fast. Back then in 1980s, the course was more for secretaries but my mum sent me anyway (I was a teenager). We learnt to type using typewriters, not using PC or notebook. Didn't think it would benefit me in this modern age until I realized no one at the office can type as fast as me. Hoho... The skill really helps me to finish work on time, if not earlier.

I only managed to learn typing because I had to enroll for my A-Level studies. I was this close to learning shorthand which could be another advantage.

Cooking & Sewing
I never cooked at home when I was in primary or secondary schools. However, I took Home Science subject in secondary school for 3 years and it was my first experience learning to cook. The subject also had Sewing module and I made a cloth pencil case and a house coat all by myself. I find the cooking and sewing knowledge very useful. Saves money too. I wish I have a spare time to indulge in cooking, sewing and craft projects.

Same motive for Irdina & other kids
I was fortunate to have a caring mum visionary enough to encourage and enroll me to skill classes. I want to be as visionary as my mum, if not better.

I'm still looking skill classes for young ladies like Irdina. Recently, I've registered her to Smart IQ workshop on brain training. I hope it will increase her confidence and help her to focus on what she wants in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment