Saturday, May 25, 2019

He named me Malala

It's the title of a NatGeo documentary. Surprisingly it was aired on Fox Movies so I was curious. Usually, I would flip to the next channel if I'm not familiar with the movie title. So Malala is the name of a Pakistani girl who fights for girls' education. I was impressed and admire her courage. I further read on Wikipedia about her and she has won many awards for her belief.

Malala Yousafzai fights for girls education rights. She was a target for assassination by the Taliban and nearly got killed with a shot in her head but Allah saved her life. Malala is the youngest Nobel Prize Winner, received in 2014 when she was 17 years old. From the documentary, I see her as a very brave and mature young girl. Her answers sounded so matured when asked about what she thinks of her shooter. She has no grudges against him with this answer:

"I forgive them because that's the best revenge I can have". Pointing out that the person who attacked her was a young boy, she says that "He thought he was doing the right thing"

If you read her Wikipedia here, she has met Queen Elizabeth, Barrack Obama, David Letterman, Emma Watson, and Angelina Jolie donated to her campaign fund. She has won strings of awards and I still think she's very down to earth looking at her picture.

Malala Yousafzai Becomes Youngest-Ever Nobel Prize Winner

This is the second female figure I came across who stand on their beliefs and persevere to do what is right. The 1st one was Greta Thunberg which I wrote about here. What amazes me is both are still young, Greta is 15 and Malala was 12 when they started expressing their beliefs. Where was I at this age?

No comments:

Post a Comment