Friday, March 13, 2015

Walking shoes for Tokyo

Currently I don't have suitable walking shoes for my trip to Japan.

Potential shoes but not suitable
The problem with my pink Adidas sports shoes is it doesn't go with my outfit. My neutral brown Bonita flats which I find very comfortable although after hours of walking, may not withstand Tokyo's cold and rainy weather. Thus I decided to splurge on a new walking shoes because it would be extremely important for my trip in Tokyo.

Without doing any research (i.e googling the internet), 2 brands came to mind. It is either Hush Puppies or Scholl.

Hush Puppies
I had a pair of Hush Puppies sandal for my Europe trip back when I was at the university. I didn't remember complaining so the sandal must be very comfortable. Went to Alamanda (although Parkson was on sale, no suitable style that I like) and Jusco Sri Kembangan (no sale, no shoes). Couldn't find anything nice at IOI City Mall too.

Scholl
People keep saying Scholl is so comfortable. I surveyed at Jusco Sri Kembangan and didn't see anything that I like. Yesterday, I went to IOI City Mall and the Scholl store there offered wider choices.
Since I decided to splurge, I went on buying a pair under 'Memory Cushion' category. Actually I was torn between this pair and a 'Massage' khaki shoes. I decided to buy the former because I was told by the shop assistant that our feet won't get tired after hours of walking in it because it's light.
Okay, since I'm paying RM208 for the shoes (the most expensive shoes I've ever bought to date) I expect the shoes to be immediately comfortable on my feet. I decided to wore the new pair straight away!

Scholl: What Happened Next
So I was hunting for the next item in the IOI City Mall, a jumper for my son. The shoes started to feel tight after about 30 min. I felt tight at the front as well as the back of my heels. After an hour, I successfully gained blisters!

I went back to the store and decided to change to the 'Massage' khaki pair because it did feel softer when I previously tried it on. 'Massage' technology features massaging sole to improve blood circulation (sounds very innovative, isn't it) only that it's heavier than the 'Memory Cushion'.

Today, I tried to wear the new pair with socks on to the office. It did feel a bit tight but I couldn't really comment on the comfort factor because of the blisters. It actually felt comfortable without socks on yesterday but I need to wear socks in Tokyo!

I'm currently contemplating whether to continue using or exchange it for something else. Maybe something for my mum. Have I made a wrong decision?


My verdict
Most of the time, 'comfortable shoes' is what I've heard about Scholl so am I missing something here?  Apparently Scholl needs time to be comfortable because it is correcting our feet and it will expand after a while. Thus I may have to give some time to Scholl before I can give a verdict.

We'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment