Thursday, March 5, 2015

Accomodation in Tokyo

On Monday 2nd March, was exactly 14 days before our traveling date to Japan. And we hadn't book an accommodation yet! I didn't get to survey during the weekends because we were in PD, staying at Avillion Admiral Cove. My husband had his IEEE meeting there and we were offered to tag along.

Finding an accommodation
I came across Airbnb when I googled the word 'accommodation in Tokyo'. Never used it before and what attracted me was some listings offered spaces complete with a kitchen. I plan to cook for the kids in case they can't tolerate Japanese food. I was able to find some listings within our budget too.


Image result for japanese food   Image result for japan small accommodation
The difficult part was to ascertain where to stay because I have not finalize my itinerary and finish studying Tokyo and subway/train maps. I can't visualize where the places are. Nonetheless,  the guiding criteria are, it must be:
  • within walking distance of 10 min to stations
  • near to Disneyland as in take less than 1 hour to get there
  • easy to get to Yokosuka as in take less than 2 hours to get there (husband's criteria)

Luckily my husband played his part as he has been to Japan and it did ease things a little bit.

I didn't use Booking.com or Agoda because their listing mostly are hotels which I think this time, may not be suitable for our lodging needs.
Image result for tokyo
Airbnb
It's some sort like Booking.com or Agoda except Airbnb advertises people's places instead of normal hotel/tourist accommodation listings. So we contact directly (Airbnb acts as the middle person) with the owner of the property we are interested in. Read more about Airbnb (facts) and the pro and cons here.
Image result for japan airbnb
My husband decided to reserve this unit near Tsukiji Fish Market, Ginza because of the price and location. Queries can come from both sides, you and the owner before making definite decision to rent a place. You will have to pay the total amount upfront.

We have been asking questions to the owner who is a local so I find this a very useful feature not available if you book through Booking.com or Agoda. Her units have received many positive reviews and luckily the owner is very attentive.

What's next
Next is packing list and food to bring........

P/S: Totally relieved when my husband said not to worry about bringing suitcases in Tokyo. My worries here

No comments:

Post a Comment